Content is king! But what does that mean? Let’s start by defining content marketing. According to Forbes, content marketing is a marketing technique of creating and distributing valuable, relevant and consistent content to attract and acquire a clearly defined audience – with the objective of driving profitable customer action. While this sounds like a technical thing, all it really means is that brands need to focus on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content. The idea is to attract and retain your audience. Ultimately, your goal is to drive a profitable customer action. This action is usually to make the “cash registers ring.”
Why is content marketing important?
We live in a digital age. Information is so easily accessible via technology that people often use the Internet to find answers and solutions to their problems. This is one of the main reasons why businesses market online and why Search Engine Optimization (SEO) has become such a huge buzz-phrase in business. It’s important for your business to be the source of recent, relevant, and credible information, so that you are viewed as credible.
So to make a long answer short, content marketing is important because it helps people find you online.
How do I get started?
Getting started takes a bit of planning. You can’t just jump right into things.
- Determine your target audience. Deciding who you want to reach will inevitably help you decide how to reach them.
- Figure out the platform you want to use to push out your content. Is it your website, your blog, or even Facebook? Each platform is different and content needs to be tailored to each. Master one platform before employing the next. Quality over quantity is important.
- Decide on your end goal. Is it to increase traffic, drive sales, or help your SEO? It’s important to know your goals before coming up with content.
- Create a content calendar. Develop a working editorial calendar in which you can plan and track your content, and after it’s published, record results. This will help you tell a story with your content and also see what is working and what isn’t working.
- Optimize and learn. Make sure to report back on results of past content. Engagement is an important metric with content marketing, so try to optimize the plan towards that goal.
Hope this helps you have a better idea of content marketing and are ready to put your knowledge to good use!